Request information under the Data Protection Act

Requests for your personal information are dealt with under the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA). This is called a subject access request. There is no charge for this

All other types of information can be accessed under Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) and/or Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR).

You can make a subject access request verbally or in writing.

We will tell you:

  • What we are using your data for.
  • Who we are sharing your data with.
  • How long we will store your data, and how we made this decision.
  • Where your data came from.
  • If we use your data for profiling or automated decision making and how we are doing this.
  • If we transfer your data to a third country or an international organisation, and if so, what security measures we have taken.
  • You have a right to challenge the accuracy of your data, to have it deleted, or to object to its use.
  • How to complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with our Data Protection Policy or how we handled your request.

For more information on your rights, go to the ICO website.


Data Protection Act 2018

You can apply for personal information about yourself but not about anyone else. If PBNI cannot give you all the information requested, you will be informed of the reasons for not releasing the information to you.

To request your personal information held by PBNI you can either

– phone or write to your local PBNI office (if you are currently under PBNI supervision)
– email or
– complete and return the Your Right to Know leaflet or
– You can also phone (028) 90522522 or send your request direct to:

Communications Unit
(Compliance Section),
80/90 North Street,

Access Probation's Privacy Notices that tell you how what kind of personal information we may hold and why.

From 25 May 2018, the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 requires every organisation or sole trader who processes personal information to pay a data protection fee to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), unless they are exempt.


If you are not satisfied with how your request for information has been handled, you can make a complaint through the Complaints Procedure. If you are not happy with the outcome of our internal complaints procedure you can appeal against the decision to the Information Commissioner who will decide if your request has been handled properly.  For more details please go to the Information Commissioner’s website at