The Probation Board for Northern Ireland is a Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department of Justice with responsibility for assessing and supervising offenders in custody and in the community, including the delivery of behavioural change programmes and supervising community service. Below are some key facts and figures about Probation
Key Facts (as at 31 March 2023)
Supervised 4,108 people on a combined total of 5,488 orders, licenses and sentences.
- 65% of Probation's caseload is under 40.
- 6,968 reports were completed, of which 1,266 were Pre-Sentence Reports (PSR) and 3,615 were Magistrate Court Reports (MCR).
- 89% of Probation's caseload was male.
- 471 victims registered, 73% were female.
- New registrations to the Victim information scheme was 12% higher than in 2021/22.
- Probation supervises 329 people on license (Life License/Sex Offender Licenses/ GB License)
- 79% of Service Users are under supervision in the community and 21% in custody.
Read more key facts and figures
For more statistical information check our Statistics page