How to request your personal information under DPA

Requests for your personal information are dealt with under the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). This is called a subject access request. PBNI does not charge for requests for personal information.  All other types of information can be accessed under FOIA/EIR.

Under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) you have the right to:
– ask PBNI if we hold any personal information about you
– be given details about how we use your information
– be given a copy of your information (unless an exemption applies)
– ask for incorrect data to be corrected.

For more information on exemptions please click on the ICO website link below:
Exemptions from the Data Protection Act
External link opens in new window

Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA)External link opens in new window

You can apply for personal information about yourself but not about anyone else. If PBNI cannot give you all the information requested, you will be informed of the reasons for not releasing the information to you.

To request your personal information held by PBNI you can either

– write to your local PBNI office (if you are currently under PBNI supervision)
– email
– use the form contained in our leaflet Your Right To Know (PDF)

You can send the completed form (or just write to) your local Probation Office (addresses included in the leaflet) or send your request direct to:

Communications Unit
(Compliance Section),
80/90 North Street,

Note: All requests for personal information must be in writing.

When making your request you need to provide us with your date of birth.  Before we release information to you, you may be required to provide some proof of identification for example, a copy of your birth certificate, driving licence or passport.

If you are not satisfied with how your request for information has been handled, you can make a complaint through the PBNI Complaints Procedure (PDF).  If you are not happy with the outcome of our internal complaints procedure you can appeal against the decision to the Information Commissioner who will decide if your request has been handled properly.  For more details please go to the Information Commissioner’s website at link opens in new window